Thursday, May 15, 2014

reci-pics™ (recipe in pictures) - beef and green onion roll 牛肉大蔥卷


After the success I saw from the last Chinese How-To, "How to Fold a Chinese Dumpling", I thought you guys would be interested in another traditional chinese dish (my mom wanted me to show off her Beef and Green Onion Rolls 牛肉大蔥卷). This is a famous Taiwanese dish that you'll find all along the streets in Taiwan. The complexity of chinese cuisine, in it's flavors and textures, is so amazing and this roll is not an exception. The Beef Shank is so tender and succulent, while the green onion pancake tightly caresses it in it's crispy flaky entirety. We also spread a sweet and salty hoisin sauce along the inside of the pancake to give it sweet plum note. For now though, I'll only be showing you how to make the pancake (蔥花餅)We'll probably add it in at a later date.



My grandfather (who taught my mom how to cook), who was a successful restaurateur and loving husband (love you Aagong) had a special way of making his green onion pancakes. He rolled the dough and the "green onion oil" together and then flattened it into a disc. Then he would pan fry it like so to showcase the layers and colors of the pancake. This is a unique and beautiful twist that will definitely make your finished product look absolutely stunning, and taste delicious. If I've forgotten to add a step please comment or email me, I often am forgetful. So I really hope you all give this a try. And as always, 

Chow! 



First combine the hot water and flour. Then add the egg, you can use ice water if you wish.

Knead for 10 minutes.




Let it rest for 10 minutes
Slice thinly.




Divide the dough in half. I couple holes won't matter but try to roll the dough out as thinly as you can get it.
Shmear however much you want on the dough. You don't want too much or else it will become hard to roll. Remember the dough is has no salt so the green onions or it flavor source.

Cut into 4 in pieces.



Flatten out with a rolling pin or your hand. Pan fry with oil until crispy and golden.

Meet Beef Shank. Beef Shank meet reader.



Recipe
2 1/2 cups flour, plus necessary for kneading 
3/4 cup boiling water
1 egg or 1/4 cup ice water

6 stalks of green onion, sliced
3 teaspoon chicken powder
3 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon olive oil

You Might Like:
















No comments:

Post a Comment